Working Holiday Visas

Working Holiday Visas

The working holiday scheme is open to foreign nationals of 26 countries, typically between the ages of 18 and 30, allowing them to primarily travel throughout Japan and undertake incidental work to assist with funding that travel. In general, the working holiday visa is granted for 12 months and cannot be extended or renewed.

However, citizens from select countries such as Australia and Canada are granted an initial 6 month visa, but through submission of the Standard Documentation and any other materials requested by the ISA (which may include written justification for the extension) Canadian citizens may subsequently be able to extend their visa once for an additional period of 6 months (12 months in total), and Australian citizens may be able to extend their visa twice, for two additional periods of six months (18 months in total).

In general, working holiday visa holders are not precluded from changing to another status of residence.

An example of this may include a foreign national being hired for a certain role under a working holiday visa, and that role also meets the requirements for a regular employment visa.

Switching to an employment visa would allow the foreign national to stay beyond the 6, 12, or 18 month period of stay granted under the working holiday visa.

Foreign nationals who have become stranded in Japan and unable to return to their home country due to the ongoing effects of the COVID-19 pandemic may be eligible for an extension to their period of stay.

Please refer to current ISA information and contact us for further details and assistance.

Toll-free in Japan
From overseas +81-3-5545-5896
Telephone hours: 9:30 ~ 18:00 weekdays
(Japan Standard Time)
*English, Chinese language support available
in Japan
*Telephone hours: 9:30-18:00 weekdays (Japan Standard Time)
From overseas
*Telephone hours: 9:30-18:00 weekdays (Japan Standard Time)